Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Obama Waffles: Are You Serious?

I like breakfast. Not my favorite meal of the day, but it's grown on me in the past few years. I like omlets, scrambled eggs, pancakes and even waffles.

But I don't like racist caricatures that create and perpetuate stereotypes that are harmful and hurtful. And I don't like them on a box of waffles.

Admittingly inspired by other food products featuring racist depictions of African Americans, the creators see no problem with their attempt at political satire.

It's not surprising that their bright idea sparked so much controversy that they were banned from selling Obama Waffles at the Values Voter Summit by organizers (after the product had been on sale for three days). Even the girls over at The View all agreed that this time, the joke went too far.

There is just nothing funny about
depicting Obama, a Catholic, in traditional Muslim headdress. There is also nothing funny about the recipe for "Open Border Fiesta Waffles" on the back, which can feed "up to 4 illegal aliens."

In fact, the whole thing is disgusting and I am, for once, speechless.

No comments: